News Details

MVPD officers arrest woman in connection with attempted child abduction

Working nonstop throughout the night, Mountain View officers arrested a woman early this (Thursday) morning after she had attempted to kidnap a toddler yesterday afternoon.

On Wednesday around 4 pm, officers responded to reports of an attempted kidnapping on the 400 block of Fairmont Avenue. When we arrived, we met with a woman who said another woman wearing a mask had approached her, her daughter, and her grandchild and told them she was there to take the child. The suspect then reached for the baby, but the grandmother intervened. The suspect then hit the grandmother, resulting in injuries to the victim’s head. The suspect then threatened the child’s mother before driving away in her vehicle, a Toyota Camry.

The child was not taken, nor was the toddler harmed in the attempted kidnapping. The child’s mother was also not injured. It does not appear that the suspect and the victims knew one another.

An immediate search of the neighborhood was not successful, but the victims provided extremely detailed descriptions of both the suspect and her vehicle, which helped greatly in the suspect’s eventual arrest early this (Thursday) morning.

Around 2 am, officers on patrol spotted the suspect’s vehicle in the Shell gas station parking lot on Rengstorff Avenue and Central Expressway. Officers conducted a high risk traffic stop and were able to, without incident, detain transient Schauntel Gomez, 31. A search of her vehicle yielded drug paraphernalia, a white mask consistent with the one the victims described her wearing when she attempted to take the child, as well as mail and packages from the area.

Gomez was arrested for attempted kidnapping, criminal threats, battery and possession of drug paraphernalia.

“We were moments away from a potential tragedy involving an innocent child, and an at-large suspect capable such a heinous act was very concerning,” said Chief Max Bosel.  “I’m incredibly thankful that the child was not hurt, that the mother quickly notified us, and I am very proud of the teamwork and tenacity of Mountain View’s patrol officers and detectives that led to this case being resolved within hours of its report.”