News Details

MVPD officers arrest man who briefly took officer's Taser

A Mountain View man was arrested Monday afternoon after he rolled on top of an officer, took their Taser, and ran away before surrendering. 

Around 2:20 pm, one of our officers was on patrol on the 500 block of Cypress Point when they noticed that a front license plate on a silver BMW did not match the back license plate. Our officer pulled over to investigate further to see not only which plate belonged to the vehicle, but to determine if the car may have been stolen.

As our officer was checking the plate, a man, identified as 36-year-old Richard Gescat, approached our officer. Gescat explained that he was in the process of fixing the vehicle but had not yet been able to register it under his name. 

As our officer spoke with Gescat to try and determine the ownership status of the car, Gescat became increasingly agitated.

Despite being told to by our officer to stay where he was, Gescat suddenly began walking towards a second car that was nearby. Our officer, along with a second officer who had subsequently arrived on scene, repeatedly asked Gescat to stay where he was and to listen to our officers’ instructions. 

As our officers asked Gescat to sit down, he suddenly turned and ran from our officers through a parking lot. Our officers followed after him. They were able to stop him, but at some point in their attempts to detain him, Gescat rolled back on top of one of our officers and pinned them to the ground. Gescat then grabbed our officer's Taser that they had pulled out to try and deploy, jumped up and ran away again. 

Again our officers followed Gescat, and as we approached him, he stopped. Gescat then sat down on his knees and later threw the Taser to the side. Fortunately, neither Gescat nor our officers were injured in this incident. 

Gescat was subsequently arrested for resisting arrest with force or violence, committing a felony while on bail, disarming a police officer and registration compliance violation.

He was booked into the Santa Clara County Jail where he is currently being held on $86,000 bail.