Fences & Landscaping

Trees and Landscaping

Most trees located at a single-family home are private trees, which are not regulated by the City. However, there are two types of trees – Heritage Trees and Street Trees – which are regulated by the City and require permits by the City of Mountain View’s Forestry Division to remove or plant. For more information, visit the Trees and Landscaping page.

No permits are required for installation of new or modified landscaping at a single-family home in the R1, R2 or R3 zoning districts, unless a Planning permit is required for other aspects of development and 1,000 sq. ft. or more of new or modified landscaping is being installed. Additional information regarding landscaping is available on this page .

Fence regulations are important as they ensure consistency within a residential neighborhood and safety for drivers, pedestrians and bicyclists. All fence regulations for single-family homes are available online.
Neighbor Challenges
Though we encourage neighbors to have open communication and resolve conflicts peacefully and thoughtfully, we understand that sometimes help from a third party is needed. The Mountain View Mediation Services is a free and confidential program provided by Project Sentinel to assist residents in disputes. Mountain View Mediation Services can be reached by phone at (650) 960-0495 or by email at mediate4mv@housing.org.