How long can I store drinking water?
You may store Mountain View tap water in clean containers for up to 6 months.  The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) website contains more information on how to safely store water in advance of an emergency.
How much water should I store for emergencies?
The State's Office of Emergency Services recommends a minimum of one gallon per person per day for at least three days be stored for emergency purposes.
What are Mountain View's sources of water?
The City of Mountain View distributes over 4.2 billion gallons of fluoridated water annually to its customers. Approximately 87% of the City's water is treated surface water imported from the Sierra Nevada Mountains and purchased from the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission's Hetch Hetchy system. The remaining water is purchased from the Santa Clara Valley Water District, and a small amount of the City's water is pumped from a deep aquifer through the City's water wells.
What do I do if I have no water?

To open an account and have your water turned on, call the City's Finance and Administrative Services Department at (650) 903-6317.

If you already have an active account in good financial standing, and you have no water, call Public Services at (650) 903-6329.

What do I do if I think I have a water leak?
First, turn off all the water on the property. Check your water meter (usually located near the street) and see if the small triangle or asterisk on the face of the dial is moving. If it is, you have a leak. You may be able to isolate the leak by turning off the house valve and checking to see if the meter dial has stopped moving. Leaks should be fixed as soon as possible to avoid excessive water charges.

For further assistance Mon-Fri between 8am-4pm call Public Services at (650) 903-6329. For assistance on weekends and after-hours, call (650) 903-6395.
What is my water pressure?
The City of Mountain View's water system delivers water at an average minimum pressure of 45 pounds.  This exceeds the California Department of Health Services requirement that a public water system provide more than 25 pounds of pressure.