Neighborhoods & Housing

1. What is the Consolidated Plan?

The Consolidated Plan is the City’s five year plan for federally funded programs.  The City participates in two federal programs: 1) the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program and 2) the HOME program.  The next Consolidated Plan cycle is for years 2020-2025.  The Plan is designed to help states and local jurisdictions to assess their affordable housing and community development needs and market conditions, and to make data-driven, place-based investment decisions. Based on the analysis, the City can develop goals and  prioritize the federal funding on those identified housing and community needs.  Future spending allocations must be consistent with the priorities outlined in the Consolidate Plan. The Consolidated Plan is carried out through Annual Action Plans, which provide a concise summary of the actions, activities, and the specific federal and non-federal resources that will be used each year to address the priority needs and specific goals identified by the Consolidated Plan. Grantees report on accomplishments and progress toward Consolidated Plan goals in the Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER).

All the cities, minus Milpitas, and the County are required to submit a Consolidated Plan.  Milpitas is on a separate funding cycle. To increase efficiencies, the cities and the County of Santa Clara have joined together to collaboratively prepare the Consolidated Plan through the use of a consultant.  This is the same process that was used for the preparation of Nt. View’s 2015-2020 Consolidated Plan.  Each jurisdiction will receive a jurisdiction specific Consolidated Plan.

What is affordable housing?
This is housing offered at a price lower than the market rate price. The lower prices are possible because of government subsidies or policies requiring developers to set‐aside a number of units at affordable prices. Affordable housing is also called subsidized housing because of the government subsidies. Affordable units are usually limited to individuals and families that fit into a specific income category ranging from 30%‐100% of area median income.
What types of affordable housing programs are available in Mountain View and how do I apply?
There are 11 subsidized rental properties located throughout the City plus the City of Mountain View has some Below Market Rate (BMR) rental and ownership units. Subsidized rental properties are 100% affordable and some of these projects are reserved for specific residents, such as seniors or people with disabilities. Each subsidized housing project has its own criteria for eligibility.

Most of these apartments serve households with incomes less than 60% of the Area Median Income (AMI). To determine whether or not you are eligible for housing in a subsidized development and how to apply, directly contact the properties on the Subsidized Housing List. The City’s BMR rental units are located in market rate developments. BMR rental units are targeted for household earning 50% to 80% AMI and BMR ownership units are targeted to households earning 80% to 100% AMI.

For more information on these affordable housing opportunities, please click on
the following links:
Are there any new affordable units being developed? How do I get on the waiting list for these units?
At any given time there may be Below Market Rate rental units or subsidized units under construction. To see what is under construction, please check the Projects Coming Soon page. You may also complete the following Interest Form to add your name to an interest list or call Palo Alto Housing Corporation, who assists the City in administering the BMR program and maintaining the interest list, at (650) 321‐9709.
Why are there waiting lists for Subsidized Housing?
Like many Bay Area cities, Mountain View does not have enough affordable housing units to meet the housing need, especially for very low‐income families and people with special needs. Therefore, affordable developments usually have many applicants for a limited number of units. Waiting lists can be as long as two years; sometimes, waiting lists are “closed” because there are already so many applicants. You should contact each housing project to find out whether or not there is a waiting list, and if they are accepting additional applications.
How do I find an emergency shelter or get emergency rental assistance?
To learn about emergency shelters in your area, please contact the Community Technology Alliance’s Emergency Shelter Hotline at (800) 774‐3583. The hotline provides pre‐recorded seasonal information in English and Spanish on available shelters for single adults, families, and youth.

The City of Mountain View provides up to $36,000 annually to the Community Services Agency (CSA) to provide emergency assistance to homeless and other low‐income residents (i.e. assistance with shelter, rent, food, utilities,
transportation, clothing, medicine, child care and employment search).
What type of first time home-buyer programs are available in Mountain View?
The City provides funding to the Housing Trust Silicon Valley who administers several programs to assist first time homebuyers, including programs that provide down payment assistance and funding for closing costs. For more information call the Trust at (408) 436‐3450 or email

The Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC) Program provides financial assistance to first‐time homebuyerʹs. The MCC will reduce the amount of federal income taxes otherwise due to the federal government from the borrower; however, the mortgage tax credit cannot be claimed as a refund. MCC Borrowers may consider adjusting their federal income tax withholdings so as to benefit on a monthly basis from the MCC. For more information on how to apply for the MCC, call the County of Santa Clara Office of Affordable Housing at (408) 299‐5765.
How can I report housing discrimination?
Housing discrimination is prohibited by federal and state law and the City of Mountain View supports fair housing rights. Fair housing is defined as the ability of persons of similar income levels to have the same housing choices regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, familial status, national origin, marital status, source of income, ancestry and any arbitrary discrimination. The City contracts with Project Sentinel to provide fair housing services. Project Sentinel can be contacted by calling the following toll-free number: (888) F‐A‐I‐R‐H‐O‐U‐(S‐I‐N‐G) or (888) 324‐7468 or by e‐mail at
How can I find out if there is a neighborhood association where I live?
A list describing the City’s neighborhood associations can be found at the Neighborhood Groups page.
Does the City Council hold neighborhood meetings in the community?
The Council Neighborhoods Committee (CNC) is comprised of three Councilmembers and holds neighborhood meetings throughout Mountain View. More information about these meetings is available at the CNC Neighborhood Meetings page.
Does the City of Mountain View have a grant program to help neighborhoods?
The City has a Neighborhood Grant Program that provides funding to neighborhood associations, resident associations within mobile home parks, and informal neighborhood groups. Neighborhood grants can be used for activities that bring neighbors together, such as neighborhood picnics, or promotes communication within the neighborhood, such as website development.
Where can I get a neighborhood grant application?
The Council Neighborhoods Committee accepts grant applications in June each year. Applications are available on the CNC Neighborhood Grant Program page.
What are Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and Home Investment Partnership (HOME) funds?
CDBG and HOME funds are federal funds the City annually receives from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The City Council awards CDBG and HOME funds to non‐profit agencies which use them to develop affordable housing and provide services to lower income persons and households. More information on Mountain View’s CDBG and HOME funds may be obtained by visiting the City’s CDBG and HOME webpage.
What types of services are available to help with disputes between neighbors or tenants and landlords?
The City provides a free mediation service to Mountain View residents, businesses, and property owners and contracts with Project Sentinel to provide those services. Project Sentinel can be contacted at 650‐960‐0495.