Mountain View’s commerce and quality of life depend on the ability to move people and goods freely throughout the community. The City’s Streets Section helps to ensure safe and easy travel in Mountain View by maintaining street surfaces, sidewalks, curbs, gutters, public parking lots, street signs, and streetlights.
On a typical day, City Streets staff works to
- Sweep streets clear of leaves and debris
- Re-pave worn, weathered, and damaged asphalt
- Apply protective seals to asphalt cracks
- Smooth uneven or damaged sidewalks
- Repair and replace street signs
- Install traffic safety devices
- Replace street light bulbs
To report urgent street maintenance problems, please call (650) 903-6329. For non-urgent inquiries, you may visit Ask Mountain View.
- Who do I call to report a street light outage?
Report street light outages to Public Services at (650) 903-6329.
- Who do I call to report a traffic signal outage?
Traffic signal outages should be reported to Public Works at (650) 903-6311. Signals along Central Expressway are the responsibility of Santa Clara County and signals along El Camino Real and freeway off-ramps are the responsibility of Caltrans.
Santa Clara County: 408-494-2700
Caltrans: 415-330-6500 (after hours: 510-286-6918)
- Are streets swept when it rains?
The City's street sweeper cannot sweep the street while it rains. The City will sweep your street on your next scheduled day.
- Why didn't the street sweeper pick up my leaves?
The City collects leaves that have fallen onto City streets. For the City's street sweeper to be able to pick up leaves, the leaves must be in piles no more than 3 feet wide and 3 inches deep; the street sweeper cannot pick up sticks, branches, or palm leaves.
Leaves that have fallen onto private property must be collected by the property owner and recycled in a yard trimmings cart. Carts are available in 64- and 96- gallon sizes from Recology. To arrange for a special collection or order a cart, call Recology at (650) 967-3034. Visit www.mountainview.gov/yardtrimmings for more information.
- Where are sandbags located and when are they available?
Sandbags are located at the City's Municipal Operations Center at 231 N. Whisman Road. For additional sandbag locations, visit the Valley Water website. Sandbags are generally available after November 1. For more information, call Public Services at (650) 903-6329.