Whether you are developing a plan or preparing for demolition and construction, we have the tools and guidelines to help you meet Recycling & Zero Waste requirements for your residential or commercial project. The purpose of these requirements is to ensure:
Adequate space for users and collectors to conveniently access trash, recycling, and compost containers.
Collection vehicles have enough turning radius and access to safely and efficiently service containers.
Waste diversion meets the mandatory requirements of the Green Building Code and City ordinances.
Compliance with City’s Exclusive Hauling Agreement & Exceptions.
Plan for enough space for trash, recycling and compost containers that are accessible and conveniently located for users and collection vehicles. Don't forget to add space for restaurant tallow services if needed.
Keep in mind that State law requires all communities to divert at least 50 percent of their waste from the landfill by waste reduction, recycling, and composting activities. The State has identified that the lack of space and convenient access is a significant impediment to meeting this mandate.
The handout below has been developed to help you design and build an enclosure that helps our community meet the minimum 50 percent diversion requirement.
Space & Access Requirements Handout
The widths and radii provided in this template is the minimum requirement for collection vehicles at all properties. Plan for a 43 foot turning radius and a commercial flange on all properties. This will also provide the needed space for parcel delivery trucks and moving vans.
Although other departments may have lesser requirements, remember that collection vehicles service properties weekly or more frequently and often under full load. Collection vehicles are larger and heavier than other vehicles, including fire trucks, and need a wider turning radius.
If your project is subject to the Green Building Code (ask Building Division), you must recycle and/or salvage for reuse a minimum of 65 percent of nonhazardous construction and demolition waste. Documentation of this diversion is required or a final building inspection will not be scheduled. See How to Track Your Waste below.
If your project involves demolition only and is 5,000 square feet or more, you must recycle and/or salvage for reuse a minimum of 50 percent of nonhazardous waste as required by the City’s Construction & Demolition Ordinance. Please note that the 5,000 square foot threshold includes all phases of a project and all related projects taking place on a single or adjoining parcel. Documentation of this diversion is required or a final building inspection will not be scheduled. See How to Track Your Waste below.
If your project involves roll off boxes, you must use the City's exclusive hauler, Recology. These boxes are hauled to the SMaRT Station which has a 78 percent diversion rate. No documentation is required--weight tags are automatically uploaded in the City’s online waste tracking system for you. Separate boxes for yard trimmings and cardboard are available at a discounted rate which can further increase diversion. Also, only Recology boxes may be placed in the street (with an encroachment permit from Land Development).
For more information, see documents below or contact Recology. See also Exclusive Franchised Hauler - Warnings & Exceptions below.
There are three simple steps to tracking your waste using our online waste tracking system. Some steps must be completed before certain stages of the building permit process. See below for more information and links, and download the Construction & Demolition Waste Tracking Requirements (pdf).
Visit MountainView.WasteTracking.com to create an account and submit your plan prior to demolition or prior to building permit approval. There is no fee for this service.
When your project is complete and all weight tags have been uploaded, submit your Final Waste Management Plan prior to scheduling your final inspection. Remember, you will not receive a final building inspection until your final plan is approved.
Building Division (Green Building Code)
(650) 903-6313 • mountainview.gov/building
Land Development (Street Encroachment Permits)
(650) 903-6311 • mountainview.gov/landdevelopment
Planning Division (Enclosure Materials)
(650) 903-6306 • mountainview.gov/planning
Recycling & Zero Waste (Enclosure Guidelines, Waste Tracking System, Exclusive Hauler Requirements)
(650) 903-6311 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Recology (Roll-off boxes, Scheduling Collections)
(650) 967-3034 • Boxes
The City Council has designated Recology as the exclusive hauler for recycling or debris roll-off box services in our community. No other hauler may be used. There are exceptions for certain materials:
• Construction and Demolition Debris generated at a Premise by a construction, remodeling, or demolition services business and hauled from the Premise by the business as an incidental part of a total service provided by that business (e.g. roofer or landscaper). Such materials shall be transported in vehicles and containers owned or leased by the business providing the total service, using its own employees and not any subcontractor, affiliated company, or third party. The vehicle used to transport materials must be on the State of California Motor Carrier Transport Registry in the name of the business providing the total service as proof of compliance.
• The materials are sold or donated to a charitable organization, hauling service or recycling processor, provided that no compensation of any kind is given to such entity for any purpose, including, but not limited to: (1) sorting of materials, collection, storage or disposal; (2) materials transport (hauling); (3) disposal of processing residues generally or as a deduction from the sale of recyclables; or (4) consultation or management services, provided incidentally or as part of an overall service (e.g. side agreements). Materials must be source-separated in open containers (not compactors). Hauling service must first obtain a non-exclusive collection agreement from the City and a business license.