Recycling & Zero Waste
Changes to Nonessential Trash and Recycling Services
The following services and programs will be impacted during the shelter in place order in Santa Clara County.
- The Buy-Back Center for the redemption of CRV containers at 935 Terra Bella Avenue will be closed. Residents can still drop off recycling during normal hours Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The Buy-Back Center at the SMaRT Station is closed.
COLLECTION AND SERVICE CHANGES:
- The updated County of Santa Clara Shelter-in-Place Order has new guidelines that will require a change in the handling of extra material during collection to minimize Recology employees’ contact with material for their health and safety. Effective Monday, April 6, through the end of the Shelter-in-Place order, Recology will not service material outside of residents’ carts in order to limit exposure to drivers. Residents may not set out extra bags of trash or extra recycling outside of the carts. Residents can request an additional service if needed before their next collection day. See the collection guidelines here.
- Please note if you are doing home cleanup projects during this time: there will be no On Call Plus appointments or bulky item pickups and no self-haul vouchers to bring items to the SMaRT Station. The SMaRT Station is closed to self-haul. Anyone arriving, even with a voucher, will be turned away. If you require a disposal service to get rid of bulky items because you are in serious need or are moving, please contact Recology at (650) 967-3034 to arrange service.
- Residents may also experience longer than average hold times with the Recology customer service phone line. You can also send an email to ContactUsRMV@recology.com and a customer service representative will get back to you as soon as possible.
- There will be no cart or bin exchanges unless there is a safety issue. Contact Recology at (650) 967-3034 if you require an exchange due to a safety issue, or if your cart or bin is missing and you require a new one.
- All HHW Services including events, small business drop-offs, retail partner services, and facility appointments are cancelled until further notice.
- The Citywide Garage Sale on May 2-3 has been cancelled.
The CDC determined the COVID-19 virus is not a Category A infectious substance, therefore solid waste from households that is or is suspected to be contaminated with the virus can be managed as it would be for the flu. In an abundance of caution, generators should ensure waste bags are tightly closed and curbside containers are not overfilled so the lids close completely. Please notify Recology at (650) 967-3034 if you know or suspect your waste is contaminated with the COVID-19 virus.