General Information

 Here you will find answers to our most commonly asked questions around crime reporting, resources, vehicle and tow releases and much more. 

Alarm Permits

The City of Mountain View requires all alarm users to register their alarm systems with the police department. Without information about you, your property and responsible parties, we are unable to fully and properly respond to alarm calls.

You can register your alarm by mailing a completed Alarm Permit Application, plus payment (check or money order form) to:

City of Mountain View c/o F.A.A.P.
P.O. Box 742282
Los Angeles, CA 90074-2282
Drop off your application and fees at MVPD's front counter between 8AM to 5PM, 7 days a week. We are located at:

Mountain View Police Department
1000 Villa Street
Mountain View, CA 94041

The Alarm Permit Application requires contact information for three designees who can come to the site at any hour, day or night. If you have fewer than three designees, you will still be granted a permit, but having backups ensures the best possible protection of your property. An account number will be associated to your address, which will be referenced in any alarm invoices, bills or calls.

Any changes to permit information must be reported to the police department within 10 days so that we have the most up-to-date information regarding your alarm. 

Current Alarm Fees & Fines
Residential Alarm Permit (Annual) $20.00
Commercial Alarm Permit (Annual) $80.00
First False Alarm No charge
Second False Alarm $100.00
Third False Alarm $150.00
Fourth False Alarm $250.00
Fifth & Subsequent False Alarms $500.00 each

Permit holders will be charged a fee for each false alarm until there are no false alarms for a rolling 12 month cycle. The fee increases or decreases according to the schedule shown below depending on how many false alarms you generated in the 12 months prior to the most recent false alarm. You must be alarm-free for 12 months in order for the fee schedule to reset.

Top of page

Common Services & Fees

Below is a list of the Record's Division most commonly inquired upon fees. You can see a full list of permits and licenses here.

Block Party Permits
Reason To alert MVPD, so we can prepare for / monitor events and respond effectively to any problems.
When Required For any event that involves blocking off a residential street or streets. These permits are only given to non-profit groups or for residential neighborhood street closures.
Cost Free
Form Block Party Application
Process Application MUST be submitted via fax or in person to the PD at least 30 days prior to your event!
Additional Info Event organizers are responsible for signs and equipment (i.e. cones, barricades) needed to close down streets. These can be purchased at hardware stores. The city will not provide signs or other equipment.
FAQ Can a police officer come by our block party to talk to kids and show a police car? MVPD will ask the supervisor to send a patrol officer. However, because of manpower and calls for service, there are no guarantees.
Contact Neighborhood and Event Services Unit, 650-903-6418
Citation Sign-Off
Reason If your violation is a vehicle equipment problem ensure it is fixed first before coming to the police department. If there is an issue with your documents (license, registration or proof of insurance), you may need to contact your insurance company go to the Department of Motor Vehicles first.
Cost Mountain View Residents: Free; Non-Residents: $29.00
Additional Info     Read and learn more about Citations in the City of Mountain View here.
Process This letter is only available to those who reside in the City of Mountain View. Walk-ins are welcome Monday through Sunday from 7:00AM to 7:00PM.
Contact Call the Records Division at 650-903-6344
Clearance Letter
Reason Clearance letters may be required when going through a background check or investigation.
Cost $23.00
Process This letter only covers the City of Mountain View. Walk-ins are welcome Mon-Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.
Contact Call the Records Division at 650-903-6344
Dance Permits
Reason To alert the police department, so we can monitor the event and respond effectively to any problems.
When Required For all events (not just dances) held in the following venues: IFES Hall (432 Stierlin Rd.) SFV Hall (365 Villa St.) Mountain View Community Center (Rengstorff Avenue & Central Expressway) Note: Shoreline Amphitheater goes through a special process. Contact the amphitheater for more info.
Cost $40 per event
Form Application for Dance Permit
Process The rental halls typically fill out and submit dance permit applications on behalf of their customers.
Additional Info Submit permit application in person to the PD at least 2-3 weeks before the event.
Contact Neighborhood and Event Services Unit 650-903-6418
Live Entertainment Permits
Cost New: $464, Renewal $153 
Contact Sgt. David Fisher,
Live Scan Fingerprinting
When Required Fingerprinting is required for such things as employment, licenses, certifications, permits, volunteerism and adoption purposes. We do not do ink and paper fingerprinting only Live Scan.
Cost MVPD Service Fee: $20 + DOJ $32.00 and/or FBI $17.00
Process *As of Aug. 20, 2017, appointments are available only Mondays through Wednesdays from 10:00AM to 3:00PM.* We do not accept walk-ins.
Additional Info Fingerprinting requires a valid form of U.S. or foreign-issued government identification, as well as Live Scan form provided by the agency requesting the service.
Contact Appointments are available by calling the Records Division at 650-903-6344
Request for Police Service
Form Request for Police Officer Services
Contact Lt. Wahed Magee, 650-903-6102
Tow Truck Permits
When Required Required to ensure tow drivers have a negative drug test, valid drivers license, clean driving record and no criminal history.
Cost Two Driver Permit: $84.00 (good for two years); Renewal $32.00 (good for two years)
Process Walk-ins welcome on Thursday only from 10:00AM to 3:00PM.
Contact Call the Records Division at 650-903-6344
Vehicle Release
Reason  Eligible vehicles are released in person to the registered owner ONLY of the vehicle at Mountain View Police Department.
Cost $174.00
Additional Info Read and learn more about Parking & Towing in Mountain View.
Contact Call the Records Division at 650-903-6344
Vehicle Repossession
Reason If your vehicle was repossessed in the City of Mountain View, you will need to pay a fee.
Cost $15.00
Contact Call the Records Division at 650-903-6344

Top of page

Crime Stats & Annual Reports

These statistics are generated from crime data provided by the Mountain View Police Department. The crime statistics on this site correspond to Uniform Crime Report (UCR) statistics. UCR statistics are published by the FBI for governmental jurisdictions all over the country. Part I statistics refer to the FBI's UCR of seven specific crimes; murder, rape, robbery, assault, burglary, larceny and motor theft. Part II crimes are all others. Be aware that sometimes apparent changes in crime rates actually reflect changes in the reporting methods, as specified by the U.S. Department of Justice. Please review the definitions provided to better understand the crimes being tallied. Except for homicide, all crimes listed include actual and attempted crimes. If you need assistance determining your area contact us at 650-903-6344. For more information regarding specific crime in your neighborhood, please see CrimeGraphics.

A review of a report regarding contact data between the community and the Police Department can also be found here.

Crime Watch Map

Mountain View Police Department subscribes to CrimeGraphics to provide you a tool for crime prevention, community awareness and data transparency. Members of the public can view most reported crimes and sign up to receive free email alerts based on user-defined parameters (e.g., geography, crime types, frequency, etc.). We upload police reports to CrimeGraphics on a daily basis, however the data does not include general calls for service or police activity with no report. In addition, some case types are withheld in order to comply with law and protect victims’ rights, such as in most sexual assaults, crimes against children, domestic violence and calls that are medical in nature. Some case data may change if the investigation is ongoing and more information about the crime is learned.

Top of page

Employee Complaint Process

The Department's Personnel Complaint policy provides guidelines for the reporting, investigation and disposition of complaints regarding the conduct of its members and employees. Personnel complaints consist of misconduct or improper job performance that is a violation of department policy, federal, state or local law.

A person can file a formal complaint or informally inquire about a department employee's conduct. Inquiries involve actions by an employee that is of concern to a complainant, but is determined not to be misconduct and the complaining party is satisfied that appropriate action was taken.  A formal complaint is a matter in which the complaining party requests further investigation, or which a supervisor or command officer determines further action is warranted.

A complaint may be filed in person, in writing, by e-mail, or by telephoning the Department. Complainants making a complaint in writing are encouraged to be completed on a Personnel Complaint Report available at the Police Department or on-line. Although not required, the Department encourages the complaining party to appear in person. A complaint can be made anonymously or by a third party, and the matter will be investigated to the extent that sufficient information is provided.  

Every Department employee becoming aware of alleged misconduct shall immediately notify a supervisor. A supervisor receiving a complaint from any source alleging misconduct of an employee will initiate a preliminary investigation. Depending upon the nature of the allegation, the matter may be handled by the supervisor or turned over to the Professional Standards Unit for investigation.

An administrative investigation of an officer is governed by a variety of State laws and Department policies. The investigation shall proceed with due diligence. Upon completion, the report is forwarded to the employee's commanding officer. A review board comprised of Department supervisors or command officers and a representative from the City Manager's Office recommends a finding for each allegation. The Police Chief then classifies each allegation of misconduct with one of the following dispositions:

  • Sustained - The act occurred and that it constituted misconduct.
  • Unfounded - The alleged act did not occur, are frivolous, or did not involve department personnel.
  • Not Sustained - There is insufficient evidence to sustain the complaint or fully exonerate the employee.
  • Exonerated - The act was justified, lawful and/or proper.
  • No Finding - The complaint was dropped, the complainant did not cooperate, or the employee resigned prior to the process’ conclusion.

Sustained allegations can result in discipline to include training, reprimand, suspension, demotion and/or termination. State law prevents the Department from disclosing the specifics of any disciplinary action, but the Department will notify the complainant of the disposition for each allegation in the investigation. For further information, please contact the Police Department’s Professional Standards Unit at (650) 903-6339.

Sustained allegations can result in discipline, to include training, reprimand, suspension, demotion and/or termination. State law prevents the Department from disclosing the specifics of any disciplinary action, but the Department will notify the complainant of the disposition for each allegation in the investigation. For further information, please contact the Police Department’s Professional Standards Unit at (650) 903-6759.

Top of page

Proceso de Quejas de Empleado

El procedimiento para Quejas del Personal del Departamento ofrece guías para la presentación de informes, investigación y disposición de querellas con respecto a la conducta de sus miembros y empleados. Quejas del personal consisten en mala conducta o desempeño laboral inapropiado el cual es un quebrantamiento de las políticas del Departamento, la ley federal, estatal o local.

Una persona puede presentar una denuncia formal o informalmente preguntar acerca de la conducta de un empleado del departamento. Las investigaciones implican acciones de un empleado que es motivo de preocupación para el demandante, pero se determina que no es mala conducta y la parte reclamante está convencida de que se tomaron las medidas pertinentes. Una denuncia formal es un asunto en el que la parte reclamante solicita una mayor investigación, o en la que un supervisor u oficial determina que se justifican nuevas medidas.

Una denuncia puede ser presentada en persona, por escrito, por correo electrónico o llamando por teléfono al Departamento. Se les recomienda a los demandantes que hacen una denuncia por escrito, a que utilicen un Formulario de Quejas del Personal el cual está disponible en el Departamento de Policía o en línea. Aunque no es necesario, el Departamento exhorta a la parte denunciante a comparecer en persona. Una denuncia se puede hacer de forma anónima o a través de terceros. El asunto será investigado en la medida en que se proporcione suficiente información.

Cada empleado del Departamento conocedor de una supuesta conducta inapropiada lo notificará inmediatamente a un supervisor. Un supervisor que reciba una denuncia de cualquier fuente alegando mala conducta de un empleado iniciará una investigación preliminar. Dependiendo de la naturaleza de la acusación, el asunto puede ser manejado por el supervisor o entregado a la Unidad de Estándares Profesionales para la investigación.

Una investigación administrativa de un funcionario se rige por una serie de leyes estatales y las políticas del Departamento. La investigación debe proceder con debida diligencia. Después de terminar la investigación, el informe se envía al oficial de mando del empleado. Una junta de revisión compuesta por supervisores del Departamento u oficiales en comando y un representante de la Oficina del Administrador de la Ciudad recomiendan una conclusión para cada alegación. El jefe de la policía luego clasifica cada acusación de conducta inapropiada con una de las siguientes disposiciones:

  • Confirmada – El acto ocurrió y constituye una conducta inapropiada.
  • Infundado - El presunto acto no se produjo, es frívolo, o no incluyó personal del departamento.
  • No Sostenida - No hay pruebas suficientes para sostener la queja o exonerar totalmente al empleado.
  • Exonerado - El acto fue justificado, legal y/o adecuado.
  • No Descubrimiento - La queja se canceló, el demandante no cooperó, o el empleado renunció antes de la conclusión del proceso.

Acusaciones sostenidas pueden resultar en disciplina, incluyendo entrenamiento, amonestación, suspensión, degradación y/o despido. La ley estatal impide que el Departamento revele los detalles de posibles medidas disciplinarias, pero el Departamento le notificará al denunciante de la disposición de cada alegación en la investigación. Para más información, póngase en contacto con la Unidad de Normas Profesionales del Departamento de Policía al (650) 903-6759.

Top of page

Request A Police Report

The Records Unit is available 7 days per week from 7:00AM to 7:00PM including holidays. Records personnel can also be reached by telephone, during business hours at 650-903-6344. Police reports may only be released to authorized parties and according to State law. Reports involving certain types of crime (i.e.; juvenile cases and some sex-related crimes) cannot be released to anyone except district attorneys or law enforcement agencies.

  • To determine if a report can be released to you, or for information about the status of your report, please contact the Records Division at 650-903-6344.
  • To obtain a copy of a releasable police report (i.e.; theft, property damage or loss, incident reports, traffic accidents), you must be a named involved party to the case (not merely a witness).
  • The processing and copying fee for all police reports is $.25 per page or $.30 per photo CD.

Anyone named as a suspect, arrested/cited party should call the Palo Alto District Attorney's Office at 650-324-6400 for procedures to obtain a copy of their report.

Top of page

Vehicle Releases

All vehicles towed (learn more about Parking & Towing) by Mountain View Police must have a release form issued by the police department before the tow company can release them. Eligible vehicles are released in person to the registered owner ONLY of the vehicle at Mountain View Police Department.

  • The owner must supply current valid registration, proof of insurance, a valid licensed driver and pay the $169 release fee to the Mountain View Police Department, as well as all towing and storage fees to the tow company.
  • If the vehicle was towed for excessive citations, those must be paid at the Department of Motor Vehicles prior to the release of the vehicle. You must bring proof of payment to the Mountain View Police Department.
  • If the vehicle has a 30 day hold, you may pick it up after the 30 days is up, or earlier if the person driving the vehicle at the time of the tow gets their driver’s license reinstated. If the license is reinstated, the driver must come to the Mountain View Police Department with the owner to get the release - bring proof of reinstatement.
  • If the vehicle owner would like to request a post-storage hearing on the validity of the tow, the owner must contact the Police Department at 650-903-6344.
  • After obtaining a vehicle release form from the Police Department, the owner must take the form to the tow company, where all towing and storage fees must be paid to the tow company.

Top of page

Victim Resources

Top of page