Citation Types

Officers may issue several types of citations. They include:

In each case, the person who receives the citation has the responsibility of paying any fines, making any required appearances, and/or contesting the citation in accordance with the rules of the court. If a person received a citation for a criminal violation, they may also need to be booked, which means getting photographed and fingerprinted. There is information on the violator’s copy of the citation that provides additional information and instructions.

Administrative Citation

Administrative Citations may be issued for violations of the City Code committed by adults (18 years and older) that are not otherwise enforced by state criminal statutes. Generally, City Code sections covering animal control, vehicle abatement, and park ordinances are applicable violations.

An Administrative Citation may be issued as a violation, imposing the pre-determined fine, or as a warning with a specified date of correction.

Administrative penalties do not bar alternative enforcement proceedings for any continuation or repeated occurrence of any code violation. As such, repeat violators may be subject to a criminal citation and/or arrest.

If you receive an administrative citation, you may pay the fine by sending a check or money order to:

City of Mountain View Police Department
1000 Villa Street
Mountain View, CA 94041


You may request an appeal. Refer to the below links for additional information.

Traffic Citation

Police Officers will stop a vehicle when they observe a traffic violation, if the vehicle is unsafe or has a mechanical violation, or if there is probable cause to investigate a crime. You are required to comply with the officer's requests, and you must show your driver's license, vehicle registration, and evidence of financial responsibility (insurance).

For infraction violations, you must do one of the following:

  • Pay the bail (fine)
  • Go to court
  • If authorized, inform the court of your intention to go to traffic school
  • Contest the violation

If you do not do one of these on or before the appearance date on your ticket, the court may issue a warrant for your arrest.

Correctable Violations

If your violation is a vehicle equipment problem, take it to a repair shop or fix the problem yourself. If there's a problem with your documents (license, registration or proof of insurance), you may need to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or your insurance company.

If the citation is for registration or license issues, the DMV may sign off the ticket after the problem is resolved. Otherwise, bring your vehicle and citation to the police department, (7AM to 7PM, 7 days a week). Ask at the front desk for an officer to inspect your vehicle or documents. Once the officer signs off on the ticket, you mail it or take it to the court. There may be a fee. Once the court records the correction, your ticket will be dismissed.

If you are a Mountain View resident, all "fix-it ticket" citations will be signed off free-of-charge regardless of which police department issued the citation. If you are not a resident of Mountain View, you will be charged $27 regardless of what agency issued the citation.

Citation Sign-Off
Reason If your violation is a vehicle equipment problem ensure it is fixed first before coming to the police department. If there is an issue with your documents (license, registration or proof of insurance), you may need to contact your insurance company go to the Department of Motor Vehicles first.
Cost Mountain View Residents: Free; Non-Residents: $29
Additional Info     Read and learn more about Citations in the City of Mountain View here.
Process This letter is only available to those who reside in the City of Mountain View. Walk-ins are welcome Monday through Sunday from 7:00AM to 7:00PM.
Contact Call the Records Division at 650-903-6344

Parking Citations

Parking fines (aka bail) must be paid within 21 days of issuance. Failure to pay may result in additional fines and a registration hold on your vehicle. If the fine is not noted on your citation, the vehicle's registered owner should receive a notice in the mail with the bail amount. Your parking citation is also an envelope you can use to pay the fine. You can pay by check or money order, payable to: The City of Mountain View. Write the citation number on your check. We do not accept payments by credit card. If you lose the envelope, mail to:

Office of Parking Violations
PO Box 11113
San Jose, CA 95103-1113


You may also pay in person (cash, check or money order) at:

Office of Parking Violations
210 N. Fourth St., Suite 150
San Jose, CA 95112


Pay online, visit the Office of Parking Violations website. You will need the citation number and a credit card in order to make payment.

You cannot pay parking tickets at the Police Department. For more information, contact the Office of Parking Violations at 800-818-1832.

Contesting a Parking Ticket

To contest a parking ticket contact the Office of Parking Violations by phone (800-818-1832), mail or in person and request an "initial review." You must provide a reason and any documentation related to your appeal. You will be notified by mail of the results of the initial review. If you are not satisfied with the results, you may request an administrative hearing.