2017-18 Library Remodel
The Library was remodeled from November 2017 through June 2018. Construction ended in mid-June 2018 and the Children's Room was reopened on the 16th of the same month.
View this page for a series of images chronicling the construction done inside the building from start to end.
On June 27, 2017, the City Council approved plans and specifications for a remodel of the library. You can read the staff report with details of the project here (see: item 4.6).
Here is a summary of the major parts of the project:
- Expanding the Children’s area out to the lobby.
- Expanding the Community Room on the 1st floor.
- Enclosing the opening in the ceiling above the current DVD collection to create a structural floor for more seating on the 2nd floor.
- Converting the training center on the 2nd floor to a second Community Room.
- Creating an additional seating area near the magazines and newspapers on the 2nd floor.
- Building additional study rooms on the 2nd floor.
- Upgrading the materials return equipment to include a new return station outside the front door on Franklin Street.
- Due to construction, the Monarch conference room and large study room are no longer available. Other Study rooms are available on the second floor on a first-come first-served basis.
Children's Room Public Art
The Visual Arts Committee has selected artwork for the glass wall leading into the new children’s area. This was approved unanimously by the City Council at their October 3 meeting. You can read the staff report and drawings of the art here (see: item 4.3)