Tenant Relocation Assistance
In February 2010, the City Council adopted a Tenant Relocation Assistance Ordinance requiring landlords to provide relocation assistance if eligible tenants in three or more rental units have been displaced because of renovations, redevelopment, and similar activities. The City’s ordinance is intended to help lower income households with moving costs, deposits, and securing replacement housing.
The Council amended the ordinance in June 2020 to increase relocation assistance. Households are eligible for relocation assistance if:
- The household income is 120% (plus $5,000) or less of the Area Median Income (AMI);
- The household has a valid lease or rental agreement with the landlord; and
- The household is not delinquent on rental payments.
Relocation assistance is provided as a cash payment to eligible person(s) on the lease or rental agreement. The following assistance is paid per rental unit, (not per tenant):
- Full refund of a tenant’s security deposit;
- A subscription to a rental agency;
- The cash equivalent of three months median market rate rent for a similar sized apartment; and
- An additional $8,000 for special-circumstances tenants, which are households having at least one person that is either over 62 years of age, handicapped, disabled, or a legally dependent child 19 years of age or younger.
Copies of the Tenant Relocation Assistance Ordinance are available by clicking on the link below. If you have additional questions or prefer to have a copy of the ordinance mailed to you, contact the Housing staff at 650-903-6125 or email@example.com