On November 15, 2022, the City Council approved the Middlefield Park Master Plan prepared by Google LLC, in partnership with Lendlease to remove 14 existing industrial/office buildings to construct up to:
- 1,900 housing units;
- 2.4 acres of land to be dedicated to City for future affordable housing;
- 50,000 square feet of active ground-floor uses (including retail, restaurants, services and community space);
- 1,317,000 square feet of office;
- 10-acres of public parks and open space;
- two parking structures (district parking) and integrated residential/commercial parking;
- new private streets;
- new on- and off-site pedestrian and bicycle improvements; and
- an optional private district utility system.
Approvals also included a 20-year Development Agreement and a Tentative Subdivision Map to create up to 18 lots, 140 vertical lots, and 1,900 condominium lots. The City Council also certified a Supplemental Environmental Impact Report and adopted a statement of overriding considerations. The 40-acre project site is generally located at the northeast corner of East Middlefield Road and Ellis Street and north of W. Maude Avenue between Logue Avenue and Clyde Avenue in the P-41 (East Whisman) Precise Plan.
Google's Project Website
Master Plan Approvals
The Master Plan identifies the framework of new development in the 40-acre area, including general building locations, uses, and forms, transportation improvements (including parking), utilities, and public spaces, with phased multi-year implementation. Each development phase will go through the City's development review process and require a community meeting, review by City staff and the Development Review Committee, and an Administrative Zoning public hearing.
Prior Public Meetings
- December 2, 3, and 5, 2020 - Google/LendLease hosted a series of community meetings to receive input on the Master Plan.
- February 3, 2021 - Environmental Planning Commission Study Session on the project (see Item 5.1 Staff Report and Materials).
- March 9, 2021 - City Council Study Session on the project (see Item 3.1 Staff Report and Materials)
- April 21, 2021 - Development Review Committee meeting to review draft design objectives for the Master Plan (see Item 2.1)
- July 14 and 17, 2021 - Google/LendLease hosted community meetings to receive input on Ellis Park.
- August 18, 2021 - Development Review Committee meeting to review the Ellis Park Proposal (see Item 2.1).
- October 14, 2021 - Notice of Preparation-EIR Scoping Meeting.
- April 27 & 30, 2021 - Google/Lendlease hosted community meetings to discuss changes in the project and get further input.
- June 1, 2022 - Development Review meeting to review the Middlefield Park Master Plan, design objectives, and Ellis Park (see Item 2.1)
- August 20, 2022 - Google/Lendlease hosted an in-person, on-site community event to share the vision for Middlefield Park.
- October 19, 2022 - Environmental Planning Commission public hearing to provide a recommendation to the City Council on the project (see Item 4.1)
- October 26, 2022 - Administrative Zoning public hearing to provide a recommendation to the City Council on the Development Agreement (see Item 5.1).
- November 15, 2022 - City Council public hearing approving the project (see Item 7.3)
- December 13, 2022 - City Council public hearing approving the second reading of the Development Agreement (see Item 4.3)
To receive e-notifications of public meetings and hearings for subsequent development applications within the Master Plan area, please create an account (or login to an existing account) at MyMV. Click on My MV Home and under My Notifications, select - General - Middlefield Park Master Plan.
For questions, please contact Lindsay Hagan, Assistant Community Development Director, by email or by phone at 650-903-6306.
For multilingual assistance in Spanish, Russian, and Chinese, please contact the City's Multilingual Community Outreach Program at 650-903-6145.
Если вам нужен перевод на русский, испанский и китайский языки, свяжитесь с городской многоязычной программой связи с населением по телефону 650-903-6145.
Para obtener asistencia multilingüe en español, ruso y chino, comuníquese con el Programa de Alcance Comunitario Multilingüe de la Ciudad al 650-903-6145.