Low GraphicsSun., Apr 20, 2014Contact UsSiteMapSearch Tips
City of Mountain View Home
Homepage | Departments | Police Department Home | Traffic
Parking & Towing
Handling Tickets

E-mail story
Print friendly format

Mountain View Police Department
1000 Villa Street
Mountain View, CA 94041

Directions & Map

General Business:
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Mon.-Fri.)

Walk-in Crime Reports:
7 a.m. - 7 p.m. (7 days)

Submit your questions, suggestions, compliments,concerns, or track your existing request online.


Traffic accidents are the most common life-threatening event. Fortunately, there's a lot we can do to reduce the odds of being in a collision.

Common Causes of Collisions
Some of the common causes of vehicle collisions are:
  • Unsafe speed
  • Inattention to driving
  • Improper turns
  • Violation of the right-of-way rules
  • Violation of stop signals and signs
  • Driving on the wrong side of the road
  • Cellular telephone use
Traffic Collisions and Reports
If you are involved in a traffic collision -- STOP. If you do not stop, you may be convicted of "hit and run."
  • Safely move your vehicle off the street or highway.
  • If you cannot move the vehicle, call 9-1-1.
  • You must show your driver's license, registration card, evidence of financial responsibility (insurance company and policy number), and provide your current address to the other driver or persons involved, or to any police officer.
  • Try to find the owner if you hit a parked vehicle or other property.  Identify yourself before you leave.  If you can't find the owner, leave a note with your name and address (and the name and address of the owner of the vehicle you are driving) in the vehicle or securely attached to it.  Report the accident without delay.
  • Report the accident to the DMV within 10 days, if there is more than $750 in damage to the property, anyone is injured (no matter how slightly) or killed.
Major traffic collisions or hit-and-runs with suspect information should be reported by calling 9-1-1 as appropriate.

Minor traffic collisions where there are no injuries and both parties agreed to exchange information sometimes requires a police response to help with the process.  If your insurance company requires a police report and case number, you can report the collision after the fact via an Internet Report online OR at our front counter using a Counter Report Form.  In addition, hit-and-run cases with no suspect information and no injuries can also be reported using the internet reporting system or same Counter Report Form.

To complete a Counter Report, please read the instructions on the sample first page and then complete the second and third pages.  Once completed, bring it in to the MVPD front desk located at 1000 Villa St. so that a case number can be issued.


California Vehicle Code requires all drivers to have a valid driver’s license. It is illegal to drive a vehicle if you have never been licensed, or your license is suspended or expired. If you allow someone else to drive your vehicle, it is your responsibility to ensure they have a valid California driver’s license. If a driver is stopped by the police and does not possess a valid California driver’s license, the vehicle can be towed and impounded for 30 days pursuant to California Vehicle Code 14602.6(a)(1).

If your vehicle is towed and impounded for 30 days, pursuant to 22852 CVC, the registered or legal owner, or their agent, may request a post-storage hearing to review the validity and authority to store the vehicle. The request may be made to the Department in person, by mail or by telephone but must be made within 10 days of the date the "Notice of Stored Vehicle" form was mailed to the owner. In order to have a hearing, you must contact the MVPD (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.) and request a hearing. If an officer is available, you will be instructed to come to the MVPD to speak with the hearing officer.

 If the hearing officer agrees to release the vehicle, the registered owner or legal owner of the vehicle or their agent must provide a valid California driver’s license, current registration for the vehicle, proof of insurance and pay $150 to the MVPD for the vehicle to be released. This fee does not include any fees charged by the towing companies.

If the hearing offierce does not agree to release the vehicle, the vehicle will remain impounded for 30 days. Once 30 days has passed, the registered owner or legal owner of the vehicle or their agent must come to the MVPD to have the vehicle released. They must provide a valid California driver's license, current registration, proof of insurance and pay $150 for the vehicle to be released. The fee does not include any fees charged by the towing company.

Reporting Traffic Matters
    Injury Collisions, Vehicle Blocking the Roadway, Hit and Run with Suspect Information
    • Emergency Communications Center at 9-1-1
    Non-emergency reports, such as debris in the roadway, traffic signal outage, etc.
    • Emergency Communications Center at 650/903-6395
    Suggestions or problems with road markings, traffic signals, stop signs, red zones, etc.
    • City of Mountain View Traffic Engineer at 650/903-6311
    Non-urgent traffic questions and complaints, particularly recurring problems, such as speeding vehicles, etc.
    • Traffic Hotline at 650/903-6146

    Avoid an Accident or Being Stopped by a Police Officer
    When operating a motor vehicle, drivers should take care to follow the rules of the road, drive defensively, maintain their vehicle in proper working order, wear a seat belt at all times, and refrain from texting while driving.

    If you are stopped by a Police Officer
    Police Officers will stop a vehicle when they observe a traffic violation, if the vehicle is unsafe or has a mechanical violation, or if there is probable cause to investigate a crime.

    You are required to comply with the officer's requests, and you must show your driver's license, vehicle registration, and evidence of financial responsibility (insurance).

    For more information on citations, please visit our Handling Tickets web page.

    MVPD Traffic Team
    For more information on the Police Department's Traffic Team, please visit our Patrol web page.

    PD-012 Form: Informal Discovery Request For Citations

    Purchase Collision Reports
    Click here

    Dividing Line


    Review Driving Laws
    California Driver Handbook

    DMV Questions?

    Traffic Complaints?
    Report Online

    More Police Contacts


    Can I put tinted windows on my car?
    Yes, but not in direct view of the driver (windshield and front door windows).

    Usually window tinting installed at the factory conforms to state law. Windows behind the driver, including the rear windshield can be tinted. However, you may wish to consider safety. In particular, if the rear windshield is opaque, it's difficult to drive safely in reverse.