The Library provides a comfortable and safe environment where customers can read, study, and work; use Library equipment, resources, and services; and where Library staff can perform its duties effectively without interference. Since the Library is used for various purposes, quiet areas have been designated for customers who prefer a quieter environment. Loud, disruptive, disrespectful, threatening, disturbing, or abusive behavior is not tolerated and customers acting in such a manner will be asked to leave the Library.
- Treat staff and other customers with courtesy and respect.
- Respect the privacy of others.
- Bring only covered drinks inside the Library; consume all food and uncovered drinks outside the Library.
- Observe time limits and use guidelines for computer and other equipment and group study rooms.
- Observe no talking and no electronic devices in “Quiet Study” areas; keep voices down in other areas.
- Respect and protect equipment and furniture and report any problems to Library staff.
- Keep personal items with you at all times. The Library is not responsible for unattended items.
- Obey all applicable Federal, State and local laws.
PERSONAL ELECTRONIC DEVICES
- Silence or set to vibrate all cell phones and pagers. Keep voices down and conversations at a minimum.
- Use headsets when listening to music, movies or other audible sounds from any device. Set computer or other personal electronic device sounds/signals to the lowest audible level.
- Children under the age of eight must be directly supervised by a responsible adult at all times.
- Keep entrances, exits and aisles clear; place backpacks and similar items under tables or chairs.
- Leave large or bulky items, such as bags and shopping carts, outside the Library; the only wheeled vehicles permitted are wheelchairs and strollers.
- Secure bicycles in racks provided on Franklin Street or near the park side entrance.
- Use furniture appropriately; do not tilt chairs or place feet or shoes on furniture.
- Wear shoes in the Library at all times.
- Running and jumping and other activities that could cause injury to you or to others are not permitted in the Library or on Library grounds.
- Follow regulations posted outside the Library prohibiting using or riding skateboards, rollerblades, roller skates, bicycles or scooters on sidewalks or paths.
ACTIVITIES NOT ALLOWED
- Interfering with another person’s use of Library materials, equipment or resources.
- Viewing harmful matter in the presence of a minor (California Penal Code 313.1).
- Soliciting, panhandling, or attempting to sell items for fundraising or other commercial purposes not sanctioned by the Library.
- Writing on or otherwise damaging Library property including books, walls, furniture, computer equipment, and facilities.
- Bringing animals inside the Library, except service animals.
- Sleeping, bathing, washing clothes.
- Drinking alcoholic beverages.
- Smoking within 25’ of the Library.
- Bringing weapons of any kind inside the Library.
Anyone violating this policy may be asked to leave the Library and/or have privileges suspended.
Link to the Printable version of this Policy
Adopted by the Library Board of Trustees: October 1, 2001
Revised: March 1, 2012