Low GraphicsWed., Apr 16, 2014Contact UsSiteMapSearch Tips
City of Mountain View Home
Homepage ... | Public Works | Recycling and Zero Waste | Household Hazardous Waste
Buy Back and Drop Off Centers
Bag Ordinance
City Wide Garage & Yard Sale
Clean Up Programs & Dump Vouchers
Collection Schedules & Holidays
Composting and Yard Trimmings
Construction & Demolition Debris Ordinance
Extra Services & Tags
For Apartments
For Businesses
For Homes
For Schools
Holiday Tree Recycling
Household Hazardous Waste
Medicines and Sharps Disposal
Non Collections
Resource Newsletter
SMaRT Station
What's Recyclable
Zero Waste

E-mail story
Print friendly format

Complaints, Service Requests & Info
Recology Mountain View Customer Service
M-F 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Billing Inquiries
Finance & Administrative Services Department
Utility Billing System

City Solid Waste & Recycling Program Ideas

Submit your questions, suggestions, compliments,concerns, or track your existing request online.

Household Hazardous Waste

Learn how to properly dispose of household hazardous waste, e-waste, and universal wastes (paint, batteries, and fluorescent lamps). 

These items cannot be disposed in the trash because they are harmful to the environment.

NEW!  Paint Take-Back Locations (Free)

Santa Clara County Household Hazardous Waste Program
(E-Waste Also Accepted)
By Appointment Only (no fee)
408-299-7300 or hhw.org

E-Waste (see left for related link)
Household Batteries (may also be recycled through curbside program)
Fire extinguishers, flares
Smoke detectors
Oil, paints, solvents, pesticides
Pool chemicals, asbestos
Prescription drugs and medicines
Balloon tanks
Propane tanks for BBQs or camp stoves
MAPP gas cylinders used in jewerly making and plumbing
(usually yellow container, 10-12" tall, 14-16 oz)
Sharps (hypodermic needles)
Thermometers and thermostats
Fluorescent tubes, compact bulbs (accepted here or take back to retail store)

The above program is funded by your local city government and administered by the County of Santa Clara.

Universal Wastes
Also banned from disposal are household batteries and fluorescent light bulbs, light tubes and compact bulbs. These items are considered "universal wastes" meaning these products are commonly used, but are harmful to the environment and need special handling and disposal. See below for take-back locations or bring to the Household Hazardous Waste Program above.

Take-Back Locations for Paint, Batteries & Lamps


Now you can take paint back to participating retailers. A new California law requires a "paint care recovery fee" to be charged on paint purchases effective October 19, 2012. Retailers may also volunteer to be paint collection sites for residents and certain businesses in their community. This means that residents will be able to conveniently take back used paint directly to retailers participating in the program. Residents will no longer be limited to making appointments for the countywide household hazardous waste program to properly dispose of paint. This in turn will reduce government costs and save taxpayers' money.

In Mountain View, see list below for paint.  For a list of other locations in the county, visit www.hhw.orgRemember, you can take paint back to any of the retailers on the lists even if they are located in different cities. Please call ahead if you have more than 5 gallons.

1949 El Camino Real
Mountain View 94040

Kelly Moore
180 El Camino Real E
Mountain View 94040

Kelly Moore
411 Fairchild Dr
Mountain View 94040

Batteries & Lamps (Free)

Fluorescent lamps are compact bulbs, straight, circular, spiral and u-bent tubes.

Household batteries (from small watch batteries to flashlight lantern batteries) can be taken to the following retail locations free of charge (no automotive batteries):

Lamps & Batteries:

Blossom True Value Hardware
1297 W. El Camino Real (650-964-7871)
(leave with employee at register)

Orchard Supply Hardware
2555 Charleston Road (650-691-2000)
(leave at customer service desk)

Lamps only:
New Era Lighting
2243 Old Middlefield Way (650-940-1559)